BY-LAWS OF THE WHARTON CLUB OF JAPAN
Article I – NAME
The name of the organization shall be The Wharton Club of Japan (hereinafter called, the “Club”).
Article II – LOCATION
The location of the Club for mailing purposes is at the following address:
Global Business Hub Tokyo 3f. BD330
6-2, Otemachi 2-chome,
Article III – OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
The objectives and purposes of the Club are:
- To maximize the benefit and presence of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (the “Wharton School”) through the active interaction among the members of the Club and the Wharton School and through robust internal and external communications.
- To promote and deepen personal ties and friendship among members of the Club.
- To assist and support the Wharton School in its mission to advance business research and education, to recruit talented new students and any other activities of the Wharton School.
Article IV – MEMBERSHIP
The Club membership shall consist of the following members:
- Regular Members: Any person residing in or otherwise related to Japan who shall have graduated from, or been employed as a faculty member of the Wharton School.
- Student Members: Any person residing in or otherwise related to Japan who is currently a student at the Wharton School.
- Honorary Members: Any person who may be so elected by the Club Board.
- Corporate Members: Any corporation which is supportive of the objectives and purposes of the Club and which is approved by the Club Board.
Article V – GENERAL ASSEMBLY
- The general assembly of the members of the Club (“General Assembly”) shall be held in Tokyo no less than once a year, at such hour and place as the Club Board may determine.
- Each Regular Member in good standing under Article VIII Section 2 who attends the General Assembly, shall be entitled to an equal right to vote at the General Assembly.
- The Club Board shall report to the Club members at the General Assembly, a summary of the financial activities for the previous fiscal year, and any other important matters regarding the Club.
Article VI –THE CLUB BOARD
- The Club Board shall consist of the directors (riji, “Director”) of the Club.
- The Club Board shall elect among the Directors, one president (“President”) and one or more vice presidents, and one treasurer of the Club.
- The term of each Director shall be three years, provided however, that the term of each Director shall automatically be extended until the first General Assembly after the expiration of his/her two year term. The terms for president and treasurer will each be limited to three years, and one person may not be reelected to the same position for more than two terms.
- The total number of Directors shall be no less than eight members and shall not exceed fifteen members.
- The Directors shall be nominated by the Club Board and approved by majority vote at the General Assembly. For the [fiscal year 2014], the Director candidates shall be nominated by the President of the Club and approved by majority vote at the General Assembly.
- The Club Board shall meet on a quarterly basis to discuss and make decisions on any important matters relating to the Club.
- The Club Board may organize one or more executive committees as necessary, which shall consist of at least one Director and any other interested members of the Club, to carry out certain functions of the Club.
Article VII – ADVISORY BOARD
- The advisory board of the club (“Advisory Board”) shall provide advice and guidance to the Club Board to advance the purpose of the Club.
- The members of the Advisory Board shall be appointed by the Club Board.
- The Club Board may elect one honorary chairman of the Club among the members of the Advisory Board.
Article VIII – FINANCE
- The fiscal year of the Club shall begin on [April 1] of each year.
- The annual membership due for Regular Members shall be \6,000, which may be subject to change upon the approval of the Club Board.
Article IX– PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Club shall treat the personal information of the Members with due care and only for the objectives and purposes of the Club.
Article X – AMENDMENTS
These By-Laws may be amended at any time as necessary by a majority vote of the Club Board, provided that any such changes to the By-Laws must be reported at the next General Assembly.
Approved: January 20, 2016